What do we mean by integrating community involvement into the day to day life of the school? here are some ideas. Comment below to add your own thoughts.
- Teachers are tasked with using community businesses and non-profits as real life examples in the creative teaching of the curriculum from 3 to 16. There are obvious opportunities in the teaching of maths, art and design, design and technology, business studies, RE and ethics, geography, Welsh language, English language, and Welsh Baccalaureate.
- The establishment of a small number of Carreg Sarn/Stepping Stone business units on the schools site. These could be let at below market rents to start up businesses whose experiences then become the focus for life-skills and business education within the school. This could also provide revenue which students could potentially use to invest in their own educational businesses.
- The use of school facilities out of hours and out of term time for adult education, summer schools, weekend courses etc. This could create new life-enhancing, non-curriculum learning opportunities for students, integrate adult and pre-19 education, and make the St Davids Peninsual a learning destination for out-of-season tourists. It also has the potential for significant revenue generation.
- The development of the school hall as an educational/community/tourism facility for music, drama and cinema performances. This could raise student standards by increasing opportunities for public performance, attract performers and artists to come and inspire and provide master classes for the students, and make the school site into a community asset. Again, it could raise revenue that could be ploughed back into improving educational standards.
- The establishment of a community liaison team made up of staff, governors and community representatives whose job it is to seek out and facilitate opportunities for community involvement in the school.
- A regular community inset day for mass DBS check and business/non-profit/community registration and for staff to meet potential community contributors.
- The establishment of a series of grants and prizes funded by local business to encourage excellence and fund added educational and web-based learning opportunities.